Our A - Z list of tips so that you do not forget anything when you plan your move.
Old clothes/bulky refuse/special waste
Thoroughly sort out what you would like to dispose of ahead of the move. This saves removal costs. Find out from your local authorities what options there are and how disposal and recycling are handled.
- Visa: apply for a visa for yourself and your family if required at the consulate of the country you are moving to.
- Vaccinations: before moving abroad it is advisable to go for a general check-up. Your family doctor will take care of the necessary vaccinations and prescribe medication if necessary.
- Customs questions: we can inform you about import regulations for your car, electrical appliances, valuables, pets, plants etc.
- Health insurance: apply to your health care organisation for an overview of services available.
- Passport: check well ahead of the move that your documents are still valid.
- Insurance: talk to us about transport insurance.
- Storage: should you not be able or not wish to take certain items with you, you can have them stored.
- VAT refund: purchases made before the move can be exempt from VAT in some cases. You can find out more from your contact partner.
Appointments with craftsmen (plumbers, electricians, etc.)
Have these confirmed in writing.
Planning the day of the move – on the big day don't forget the following points:
- If necessary, inform the janitor so that he can assure use of the lift, for example.
- Let the neighbours know the removal dates so that they can be prepared for the disturbance.
- Obtain refuse sacks.
- Personal needs: things that you need on the day of the move should be packed separately: keys, clothing, flannel soap and towels, medical case, baby needs, toys, pet food, cleaning equipment etc.
- Valuables: pack all valuables separately and transport them as far as possible personally.
- Tools: on the day of the move have a small tool bag handy containing hammer, pliers, screwdriver and other tools.
- Plants: provide large plants with a support and water them well once again before the move (except when there is a risk of frost).
- Defrost fridge/deep freeze in good time.
Notifying of a change of address – don't forget to make the necessary notifications of a change of address:
- Telephone/cable connection
- Energy provider: water/gas/electricity/district heating
- Forwarding address for post
- Banks: direct debits and standing orders
- Residents registration office
- Tax office
- Employment office (child allowance / student assistance)
- Newspaper and magazine subscriptions
- Clubs and associations
- If required school/nursery school
Last modified: 04.09.2015